Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cgit/gitweb - owner updates

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cgit/gitweb - owner updates
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 23:26:00 GMT

Hi Assaf,

    Though there are few existing cases of names being used for owners:

If a person decides to put their own name in, that's up to them.
My point was, we shouldn't do it automatically.

    emacs.git Jim+Meyering

Certainly wrong, as Jim would be the first to say.
Which makes me think this information doesn't actually matter.
So why are we spending time on it at all?

    There are several packages (gnu included) which have other lists for
    more general discussions, and not for bugs.

Yep, I am well aware of this.  I spend my life dealing with gnu and
nongnu (and tug) mailing lists.  Not much of a life :).

    Would you think these are more suitable for initial contact,

For initial contact, yes, a help list would be better.  It all depends
on what this "owner" information is for.

But a couple of your proposed lists didn't seem good to me.  I'll have
to look at your list.  I'll do that and get back to you as soon as I
can.  (Won't be today.)

Meanwhile, the principal reason I proposed bug-PKG is because: what
happens when a new package is approved, a git repository is created
.. and the information is blank.  You can't put a help list in because
it's a new package.  What are you going to do?  Only bug-PKG should work
(eventually).  There's no way of knowing when, if ever, another list
will be created.

Personally, it seems much more useful to me (though much less fun,
granted) to provide a UI so owners can update the info themselves than
worrying about what value to automatically inflict on existing
repositories.

thanks,
karl