Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to take over an abandoned project

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to take over an abandoned project
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 07:10:01 +0200

Hi Karl,

Am Wed, 29 Mar 2017 23:03:42 GMT
schrieb Karl Berry <address@hidden>:

> [switching to sv-hk-pub from sv-users]
>
> Thomas - I'm not sure if someone else has already replied, but if
> not ...

I got some answers from sv-users about the original problem but not to
the mailing list problem.

>     statement at the top of the mailing list archive that the content
> is updated twice an hour.
>
> It appears to me that the cron job to update mailing list archives
> runs four times an hour now.

Weird. My mails to the list showed up nearly only a day later. Without
subscribing to the list I have no feedback if it had arrived.

>     > > I am wondering what are the steps  to take over an abandoned
>     > > nongnu project.
>
> I'm not sure we have an official policy about it.
>
> It seems to me that if you can get the previous owner (one "Rein
> Couperus", I gather), or someone, to tell us that it's ok (or point us
> to somewhere where they say they are abandoning it, then we can
> transfer it.

Well one of the users of sv-users managed to find the phone number of
Rein Couperous and gave him a call about it. In result Rein wrote
yesterday to sv-users that he would agree to the transfer. I got a copy
of that mail around 10 utc but until now (20 hours later) it does also
not show up on the list archive.

So maybe we should wait some more time or I can forward the message to
you.

Thanks,
        Thomas.

> Failing that, you could certainly submit the code as a new project
> (say, tlf2), though I realize that is suboptimal in several ways, and
> we can evaluate/approve as with anything else.
>
> Otherwise, I just feel leery of forcibly transferring a project with
> no input from the previous admin. Perhaps others would like to weigh
> in.
>
> Hope we can make something work,
> Karl

P.S.: Please CC me in an answer as I am not subscribed to sv-hk-pub

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea