Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Out of memory issues on Savannah?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Out of memory issues on Savannah?
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 16:46:30 -0600

Hello Phong,

Phong X. Nguyen wrote:
> We pull down libidn and libidn2, both of which rely on gnulib and we have
> with some increasing frequency seen remote out of memory errors. I saw from
> the prior issues other people have had that we should contact this mailing
> list if we need some assistance:

Yes.  Thank you for reporting the problem to the mailing list.  I look
now and see that the last day it has been having memory stress.  This
was LibrePlanet conference weekend and most of us were at the
conference either participating or working it and so haven't been online.

> remote: fatal: Out of memory, malloc failed (tried to allocate 49091 bytes)
>
> remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
> fatal: protocol error: bad pack header
> Clone of 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/gnulib.git' into submodule path
> 'gnulib' failed

It appears as if some unusual activity consumed a bunch of memory this
morning.  I will reply to Simon's message with info about how to view
this graph of information in the next message.

Things look to have settled down.  I can see that memory was consumed
and then released.  I will look through what logs we keep and see if I
can determin more.  But it must be after I return.  I am at this
moment at the Boston aiport at my gate waiting for the airline to ship
me home.  This limits my time.

First thing I will ask is simply to try things again now that the
storm seems to have passed.

Bob