sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking

From: Ryan Hunt
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 09:12:30 -0600

Yakamo,
it still does its job of ensuring published keys are not tampered with, it was not designed to be resilient to denial attacks.. That does not interfere with the trust of PGP, its why there are local keystores.. and the SKS network is still around despite being unreliable/broken from a maintenance standpoint.. your poisoned keys are not altering other individuals keys in any way/shape/form, so its security has not been compromised.. availability of keyservers is not critical to the use of PGP, again by design.. there are many ways to distribute keys, it is resilient factually despite your opinions.. over the decades the need has not been lost.

You could not be more wrong about GnuPG, and it shows.. do you even work in the industry? Because where I sit, with over 54 million devices on my network.. PGP is one of the most trusted security tools we use, all of our software is signed by PGP, config files are signed by PGP, internal correspondence signed by PGP.. You are the only person in the world claiming GnuPG has lost its trust and you can write all the blog posts you want but your opinion means nothing to me, and the rest of the industry.. Snowden and all the other security industry's rock stars still fully advocate the use of PGP despite your feeble attacks.

So to answer your questions:
1. Currently, its the only option until something better comes along.
2. There are absolutely none, but you seem to be beyond reason on this point so I digress.
3. This is entirely arbitrary, not everyone has to share your perspective.. Most of the industry rallied against the GDPR, if anything the EU/Australia has become the laughing stock of the cryptography world.. you guys would give up master keys and implement backdoors to your government in exchange for a cookie and a pat on the back.

-Ryan