sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking

From: Stefan Claas
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 20:48:18 +0200

Todd Fleisher wrote:

> > On Aug 16, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Stefan Claas <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > DevPGSV Pablo wrote:
> >
> > O.k. I must admit I did not thought about the centralization issue,
> > people might have.
> >
> > Well, then operators could put that on a link of their own WWW key
> > server interface and Kristian could add only a column in his pool
> > page, indicating that server x,y,z has a canary, without taking any
> > actions.
> >
> > Even if Kristian does not like the idea than at least people could
> > see that operators are willing to support the idea.
>
> I don’t understand what benefit having operators post warrant canaries is
> supposed to provide in the context of the SKS network.

The purpose of this suggestion is to bring back a little bit more trust in
a Network, which is currently broken by design. People, like me, do not
like the idea of sharing dumps to 3rd parties (hello GDPR), without our
consent.

Operators should protect the database as best as possible.

Dumps can be used for a variety of tasks. I remember rjh once saying that
people asked him if they can trust the key servers. Does this trust mean:
Can a key been removed or faked, or a dump been used for analyzing social
graphs of non-trained dissidents, activists etc. who, not knowing better
before, signed each others key publicity. (A WWW key server interface in
its current form may reveal such info too, but IHMO not so quickly.)

Regards
Stefan

--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
GPG: C93E252DFB3B4DB7EAEB846AD8D464B35E12AB77 (avail. on Hagrid, WKD)