Re: Firewall system

From: Cassandra Lynette Brockett
Subject: Re: Firewall system
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:50:38 -0700

I think the documentation might be a little misleading there.

Basically the main problem is how sendmail calls the milter - in most cases
(ie, most users using smtp direct to the email server) sendmail calls the
milter with certain flags and such that specify the fact it was an SMTP
message (as opposed to UUCP or command line delivery, etc)...

SMTP is a protocol, not a port - so if you are just receiving email on
another port - it should work fine.  Here I run a cisco firewall (with a
packetshaper on the link as well), so I have much higher connection
standards than RH9's firewalling, yet it works fine for me (well, "fine" in
the sense that it does what it should do given the current code base, the
milter still has more work - but then again so does sendmail - and that's
been around much much longer)...

I have users both on the machine and remotely connecting to send and receive
email via the email server, and spamass-milter handles it's job quite
effectively.

Hopefully this will help clear up any confusion about it - basically, give
it a try - it should work fine for you.

Regards,
    Cassandra