Re: Firewall system

From: Cassandra Lynette Brockett
Subject: Re: Firewall system
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:41:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Yerkes" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 10:18 PM

<snip>

> No, sendmail does NOT invoke milter if it's called from the command
> line.  OTOH, you have the opportunity to have SMAP pass the mail
> to spamd itself.

Funny... that's how it works on my system here.... In fact I had a massive
error problem that was caused entirely by sendmail calling the milter when
run as a command-line mailer, the milter crashing due to local users calling
sendmail directly to send mail (both from command line and otherwise), hence
the milter was not receiving a local part for the users domain... something
which got fixed rather quickly as the milter kept crashing because of it....

Not all systems work the "documented" method - my mail server (currently)
runs RH7.3, as we needed to install directly to software raid, and it was
the latest RH version that we could even consider using in a production
server.   Eventually we intend to move the mail server over to a Debian box
running Debian stable (whichever that is at the time), and at that point we
expect things to follow the documentation - but not until then...

Regards,
    Cassandra