Re: Firewall system

From: Chuck Yerkes
Subject: Re: Firewall system
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:18:32 -0400

Quoting Cassandra Lynette Brockett (address@hidden):

No, sendmail does NOT invoke milter if it's called from the command
line.  OTOH, you have the opportunity to have SMAP pass the mail
to spamd itself.

One of the many problems with SMAP (besides being fine code for 1994),
is that it doesn't speak ESMTP, so you lose a lot of value that's been
added in the last 10 years.

You may get more "security", but you can't use SMTP/TLS to encrypt
your mail stream.  You can't pipeline messages, etc.

More, sendmail on a machine that does zero local deliveries (not
even .forward files) can run as "not root."

You don't get to stop large mails at the protocol greeting (if, say,
good client has a 1MB mail and your sendmail advertises that it only
takes, say, 500k MAX).

I think Marcus R might even be backing down on SMAPD's code at this
time.  10 years is a good run.

Back to sendmail, 8.12 does a dual delivery, so SMAP might work fine.
It passed to sendmail via a command line, while that sendmail passes
to a daemon listing on port 25 (localhost only, or even a unix socket).
They speak SMTP.  But again, why not just have SMAPD to that work?