Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases (fwd)

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases (fwd)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:31:58 -0500

In the last episode (Aug 15), Tony Shadwick said:
> A coule more irons for the fire on the sendmail -bv front.
>
> One is that I'm working on hacking spamd to fit my purposes.  I've
> tried Cassandra's patch, which essentially catches the userid, runs
> sendmail -bv on it, then passes along the new one if it's different,
> or the same on if it is not.
>
> Example output:
>
> [erwin:~] numbski% sendmail -bv tony
> Notice: -bv may give misleading output for non-privileged user
> numbski... deliverable: mailer local, user numbski
> [erwin:~] numbski% sendmail -bv karen
> Notice: -bv may give misleading output for non-privileged user
> baroque... deliverable: mailer local, user baroque
> [erwin:~] numbski% sendmail -bv nathan
> Notice: -bv may give misleading output for non-privileged user
> sysiphus... deliverable: mailer local, user sysiphus
>
> Now, for a touch of irony, one of my problems is that the virtusertable
> isn't local, so through the magic of ssh, i tried this:

Can you run the milter on the same machine your virtusertable is on?

I don't remember if you ever posted a description of your mail routing
paths, but I guess it's something like:

 (____Internet____)

      +------+
      |      |
.. [MX 1]  [MX 2]      Sendmail and milters run here
:     |      |
:     +------+
:        |
:    [Mailserver]      Just sendmail
:
:... [Spamdserver]     Runs spamd, possibly also houses
                       SQL database for user prefs

You should be able to move spamass-milter down to the Mailserver
machine by building it on Mailserver, starting it with "-p inet:2525",
then putting this in your MXes sendmail.mc:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',`S=inet:address@hidden,etc etc')

So spamass-milter, since it's running on Mailserver, can see the
correct virtusertable.  A lot less overhead than an ssh session.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden