Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases (fwd)

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Making Spamass-Milt respect virtusertable and aliases (fwd)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:30:34 -0500

In the last episode (Aug 15), Tony Shadwick said:
> You were close.  SpamAssassin and Spamass-Milt are running on the
> endpoing mail server, and prefs are stored in ~/.spamassassin.
> You're the second person to ask about sql databases and storing prefs
> that way, but I've not seen instructions on how to do that.  I had to
> write up docs on how to do this at all for OS X to begin with.  I can
> make the mail server my primary mx, and then make mx 1 and mx 2
> secondary and terciary, but that seems a little out of order too.

Depends. If you set up MXes for firewall isolation purposes, then
that'd be a bad idea.  But if they're just there to buffer incoming
messages, why not deliver directly to the endpoint server, and let the
MXes take over if something happens to it?

You can ignore the SQL server bit; I just thought up a configuration
with as many bells and whistles as I could :)

> You suggest that I tell mx1 and mx2 to run spamassassin via milter,
> then no filtering occurs on teh endpoint system, but that requires a
> database to store user prefs, which I don't know how to do. :\

The idea is to run the milter on a machine with the virtusertable;
think of sendmail and milter just like spamc and spamd.  They don't
have to be on the same host.  You can still filter on the endpoint, as
long as sendmail connects to a milter on a host that can expand the
usernames.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden