Run as NON-ROOT

From: Steve
Subject: Run as NON-ROOT
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:49:12 +0100

First of all thank you to everyone who has given me great advice here.
It really is appreciated. I'm getting closer to my Holy Grail, but now I
just have to solve one last thing with the milter.

I have to find a way to get it to run as a specific (non-root) user. The
man page lists a -u switch, but this is not connected with 'run as'.

"-u defaultuser

Pass the username part of the first recipient to spamc with the -u flag.
This allows user preferences files to be used.  If the message is
addressed to multiple recipients, the username defaultuser is passed
instead."

A good long google shows others asking this question 4 years ago, and
some arguing of semantics. What was missing was any answer.

Is it possible to get the milter to start as a non-root user or drop to
a non root user? Does it provide for this?

Thanks to all and have a great weekend.