Re: Tramp ftp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp ftp
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:09:49 +0100

Anakreon Mendis <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

for better analysis, it would be helpful to know the Tramp and Emacs
versions.

> I tried to open a remote file via ftp.
> The url I used is:
> /ftp:address@hidden:21:apache/www/index.php

"/ftp:address@hidden:apache/www/index.php" should be the correct
syntax (given that the directory "apache" is located at the FTP
root). You can check it more simple with "/ftp:address@hidden:/".

> If I dont specifie the port then emacs thinks is a local file.

It would be interesting to see the messages this case.

> After I provide the password two buffers are created.
>  *tramp/ssh 21* with content:
> ssh: connect to host 21 port 22: Invalid argument

Your syntax is definitely wrong. When Tramp (and ange-ftp) accept
ports, they are always written like "#21".

> I tried to uninstall tramp so ange-ftp will handle the
> file.
> This didn't work with an error message that a tramp file
> was required.

When Tramp is installed, it removes ange-ftp specific entries from
`file-name-handler-alist'. This is not restored when Tramp is removed,
so there are some problems, indeed.

> The question is:
> 1:How can I solve this problem with tramp

See above. Likely ports shouldn't be necessary.

> 2:How can I convince emacs to use ange-ftp instead of tramp
> for the file

With the "ftp:" method, as you did. When you want to use only
ange-ftp, you might put the following line into your .emacs:

  (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")