Re: Tramp ftp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp ftp
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:51:31 +0100

Anakreon Mendis <address@hidden> writes:

> The ftp server runs on NT computer.

FTP servers running under Windows are known to behave different. Some
commands might be not implemented, the response strings might be
different from what ange-ftp expects. I've experienced this with an
Exceed FTP server, too.

You could try the smb method of Tramp. It should give you access to
the shares of the Windows PC.

>  > When Tramp is installed, it removes ange-ftp specific entries from
>  > `file-name-handler-alist'. This is not restored when Tramp is removed,
>  > so there are some problems, indeed.
> Perhaps this should be concidered as a bug.

Perhaps. IIRC, this is in the todo list already, with minor priority.

>  >   (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
> This is not a solution actiually.
> I need tramp to connect to other servers via ssh

Tramp would still support ssh. It is just a question of convenience,
which default method you don't need to type.