ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files

From: Chris Withers
Subject: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:37:03 +0100

Hi Michael,

I've once again hit the same stumbling block we discussed back at the start of last year:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2009-12/msg00031.html

Googling finds several similar questions on Stack Overflow, and I've added one of my own:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7832837/how-can-i-use-emacs-tramp-to-ssh-to-a-remote-host-and-edit-a-file-as-another-use

To pick up from your email above:

 +-----------+      +------------+
 |           | ---> | transit@   |--+
 | you@      | ssh  +------------+  | sudo
 |           |      | user@      |<-+
 +-----------+      +------------+
   localhost          remotehost

How do I set up proxies such that I can do the above process but where none of 'transit', 'user' or 'remotehost' are hard coded in a config file?

I really want to be able to use a path such as:

/address@hidden:sudo:user:/some/file

How do I do that? What do I need in the proxies list?

cheers,

Chris

PS: In trying to find out about this, I wanted to see if any development had been done that would help, which sprouted more questions:

- is http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/tramp/?root=tramp where tramp is maintained?

- is http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/tramp/ChangeLog?root=tramp&view=markup the correct change log to be looking at? I hope not, since it doesn't mention either proxies arriving or multi: going away...

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk