Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:57:02 +0200

Chris Withers <address@hidden> writes:

>> This sounds a little bit complex, but it isn't, because you can use
>> minibuffer's history for all the file names.
>
> It's *way* more complicated than the old /multi method, can that not
> be brought back? Why was it removed in the first place?

Look at the syntax. It's horrible to parse, expecially when you want to
complete (like in ido-mode). Do you know exactly whether a substring is
meant as method, user name or host name? I don't.

One proposal was to require always a method name in case of multihops. I
don't know whether this will make things better.

>> Maybe I shall add support in Tramp for this ad-hoc configuration. At
>> least it shall be documented.
>
> Yes please, but proper ad-hoc, allowing specification of the transit
> user, remote host and remote user all in one path. If there's anything
> I can do to make that happen more quickly, please let me know...

I have no real idea how to achieve this, sorry. If you come with a
working solution you're welcome!

Why not to go the other direction, and make ido aware of proxy hosts?

>>> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/tramp/ChangeLog?root=tramp&view=markup
>>> the correct change log to be looking at? I hope not, since it doesn't
>>> mention either proxies arriving or multi: going away...
>>
>> For the Lisp code, you shall use
>> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/tramp/lisp/ChangeLog?root=tramp&view=markup
>
> Okay, what's the other ChangeLog?

There are 3 ChangeLogs. "viewvc/tramp/ChangeLog" is for overall
makefiles and configuration scripts. "viewvc/tramp/lisp/ChangeLog" is
for the real Lisp code. And  "viewvc/tramp/texi/ChangeLog" is for the
documentation.