Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files

From: Chris Withers
Subject: Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:40:51 +0100

On 25/10/2011 12:48, Michael Albinus wrote:
The advantage is, that Tramp does not need to parse the whole string
"/multi:ssh:address@hidden:ssh:address@hidden:", which makes it (me!) crazy.

I'm still confused, this all used to work before it was removed.
What changed to stop it working and require its removal?

Completion of methods / user names / host names did not work robustly,
IIRC. Proxies were part of the filename, which makes it harder to type
them (yes, in your case of ad-hoc proxies it would be desirable).

Yeah, ido mode helps with this, specifically when things form part of a filename. If you haven't used ido-mode, I'd suggest giving it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised ;-)

I want to give you the possiblity to type an ad-hoc proxies when
specifying a remote file name, without that proxy being a part of the
remote file name. Sounds more complex than it is :-)

It shall *feel* like the old multi hops, but it is implemented differently.

That would be fantastic. If you have any prototypes you'd like me to try out, please let me know!

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk