adonthell-artwork

Re: AW: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: AW: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim
Date: 08 Mar 2002 14:45:36 +0100

> > I had also suggested 1m=40px on the y-axis and 1m=60px on the x-axis as a
> > measurement guideline. Can you all live with that?
> >

> alrighty then  - if there's no objections we'll fix it at that. Yes?

Well, we have to settle this one :)

I've done some research about others games which use a similar map view.
Golden Sun for GBA got my attention (very nice game btw).

On GS, the average characters are 32 pixels height for 16 pixels width.
Which is a 2:1 ratio - the same than your proposal, and it looks very
good with GS.

The GBA screen is 240x160 pixels (at least, on the shots I took). So the
character/screen ratio is 240/16=15 horizontally and 160/32=5
vertically. On your proposal, it would be 640/40=16 horizontally and
480/80=6 vertically. Which means that there would be a few more area
visible on Adonthell than on GS, which looks already really good. So, I
have to conclude that your proposal is good! ;) Sorry for all the boring
doubts I emitted, but I can't feel good while things aren't sure to work
^_^.

Still, humans higher than 80 pixels should remains an exception IMO.
Moreover, don't forget the map engine works with full squares, and if
you overlap would it be one pixel the second square, you'll need a third
one, which means additional work for the map engine when moving the
character. But as the operations are quite simple, this doesn't matter
much actually ;) so don't worry too much about it - just being aware of
it to save a square where possible is sufficient.

About the metrics, I can't comment much on them but they sound good.

So, settled? Champagne? ;)
Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org