Re: [Adonthell-devel] General impressions

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] General impressions
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 17:07:34 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 02 Dec 2001 13:51:59 -0700 Lakin Wecker wrote
> Well, I tried compiling and running CVS code with the current game data that
> I have(from the last time Kai sent it to me) and couldn't.  I didn't spend
> alot of time on it, so I'm not sure if it's my fault or out of date data.

There was a rather big change to the GUI code right afterwards, which
meant that quite a few python scripts had to be adapted.

> The text was hard to read for me cause I'm red-green colorblind. (which means
> I can't see little bits of red in lots of green).  But that's easily fixable.
> Do you plan on letting the user configure the colors of the text?

I've changed the red text to something more orange. Will that be better?

Right now, we cannot alter the color of our font in the game. (That'll be
another feature on the wishlist for v0.4). So right now we have our font
in multiple colors, and changing them involves gimp, gzip and a hexeditor ;P.

However, once we can color in our font at runtime, nothing would speak
against people defining their own text colors.

Even at present we have support for different window themes (in theory).
One of the themes we have uses a blue background, which might already help
in your case. However, right now selecting that theme is not possible.

In fact, we weren't really sure whether we want the player to chose a theme,
or whether the program would select different themes in different situations.
Both variants have their appeal, so the desicion isn't easy.

> I didn't have it segfault on me while playing, only while saving or loading
> and I'm not sure which any more.

There might have been problems with that in the old code. I hope that is
fixed now.

> But Just wanted to let you know that I thought it was awesome!

Great! :) Sometimes I think it is pretty good, and at other times I
realize how many features are missing yet. So it's nice to hear that at
least someone likes it.