Re: [Adonthell-devel] Uh. Dilemma.

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Uh. Dilemma.
Date: 23 Dec 2001 09:53:28 +0100

le dim 23-12-2001 à 04:30, Joseph Toscano a écrit :
> Er.
>
> So. I install Debian, only to find out that (yay!) my Radeon 8500 card is
> totally and utterly *unsupported* in any and every way by X 4.0.

Mmm. Which chipset is the Radeon? I'm quite sure it is supported.

> Am I on crack, or wasn't there a generic "svga" module to be used if your
> card wasn't directly supported? It's missing in my dist, and that's. . .
> pretty disheartening. I can't play Adonthell until I find it.

DRI does support your card (http://dri.sourceforge.net/status.phtml), as
ATI (contrary to NVIDIA) DOES encourage free software developers to
develop their free drivers, that's why ATI cards are a good choice.
However, you might need xfreee 4.1 in order to get it to work. I don't
know at all whether xfree 4.0 supports it or no (while it should IMO).
My suggestion: become a real man, and upgrade to SID (the unstable
branch of Debian, as you probably know it). Xfree 4.1 is provided, I'm
using it since a few months and I have no problems. Of course, once you
have a stable environment with SID, do not apt-get upgrade like a
savage, instead update your packages individually.

Hope this helps. Keep me informed and good luck! ;)