Re: [Adonthell-devel] Uh. Dilemma.

From: Joseph Toscano
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Uh. Dilemma.
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 08:59:08 -0500

Alex wrote:
> Mmm. Which chipset is the Radeon? I'm quite sure it is supported.

"Radeon" is the name of the card *and* the chipset. Only competitor to the
GeForce3. And, you are correct; the oldschool Radeon cards (which were
comparable to the GeForce2) work fine with the "ati" module in XFree 4.
However, this new card I have is the Radeon 8500, which is brand new, and
which, apparently, is unaccelerated in X.

However, I was almost sure that there was a generic module to be used for
cards that don't directly support acceleration (perhaps called "svga"?). I
mean, I don't need anything blazingly fast to run Adonthell, so something
generic will do just fine. I just want it to *work*, if you know what I
mean. ;)

> DRI does support your card (http://dri.sourceforge.net/status.phtml),

Right, it does support the old Radeon cards (I used to have one, and it
worked fine). However, this time around, even despite compiling DRI support
into my own 2.4.17 kernel, it does not work. This is because the 8500 is too
different from the old Radeons to yet be supported.

> My suggestion: become a real man, and upgrade to SID (the unstable
> branch of Debian, as you probably know it).

I'm using sid. I have always used the unstable branch via apt-get, etc, ever
since potato was the unstable branch.

So. . . um. Yeah. >D

--JT