Re: [Adonthell-devel] Uh. Dilemma.

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Uh. Dilemma.
Date: 23 Dec 2001 15:38:40 +0100

> However, I was almost sure that there was a generic module to be used for
> cards that don't directly support acceleration (perhaps called "svga"?). I
> mean, I don't need anything blazingly fast to run Adonthell, so something
> generic will do just fine. I just want it to *work*, if you know what I
> mean. ;)

Ah, sorry. Well, you probably can use X with the framebuffer
driver/server then. Just compile your kernel with framebuffer support
and use the right server (don't know precisely how to do this though).
Your card will then probably be supported with acceleration soon. Also
note that you don't especially need X to run Adonthell. It will also run
with the fbcon driver, which use the framebuffer. If you do
'export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon' before launching Adonthell, it will use
it. You won't need X and will play fullscreen. Chances are, however,
that it will be slow.

> I'm using sid. I have always used the unstable branch via apt-get, etc, ever
> since potato was the unstable branch.

Ah. A true man, finally! ;)

Hope you can take advantage of your card soon!