Re: [Adonthell-devel] Veranda workaround

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Veranda workaround
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:06:43 +0000

Kai Sterker wrote:

> To come once again back to the veranda:
>
> That teleport isn't really the optimum yet, so here's an idea to get rid
> of it. Actually, it's no idea, it's already implemented. But as there are
> some caveats, I'd like to hear your opinion first.
>
> The idea is quite simple. Register a draw-callback and use that to draw
> the character 'manually' when he would vanish behind the entrance.
> I did this and it's working like a charm.
>
> The major problem is when you are saving while on the veranda. Because
> then the callback is lost and will not be restored automatically when you
> load that game later on.
>
> So either we had to forbid saving on the veranda, which is not very nice
> (unless we made the veranda-walking a self-running sequence).
>
> The only "good" solution would be to check in the player schedule
> whether to restore that callback. But I'm not sure if such a small
> exception is worth the overhead (well, one additional if-statement every
> time the player schedule runs).
>
> So if you think the teleport is unbearable, I'll do it. Otherwise we'll
> have to live with it.

I had suggested to Alex that we could perhaps use a teleport without the
transition. So the character kinda hops from one side to the other -
like the old stairs in the forest pub in 0.2 (btw at the moment you
teleport one tile further than the other ide of the entrance - can't you
teleport just to the other side? Or don't we have entering and leaving
tile events anymore?). I just don't know if this is still possible with
0.3's engine. Your idea would _move_ elegantly but it might look funny
from the gfx side coz the character would look like he's floating in
front of that mini roof over the entrance. I guess since you've seen it
it can't be bad. If you do want to do that do the self running thing -
that also ensures the player can't be 'floating' for too long.

        -James
--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821