[Adonthell-devel] Veranda workaround

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Veranda workaround
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:41:09 +0100 (CET)

To come once again back to the veranda:

That teleport isn't really the optimum yet, so here's an idea to get rid
of it. Actually, it's no idea, it's already implemented. But as there are
some caveats, I'd like to hear your opinion first.

The idea is quite simple. Register a draw-callback and use that to draw
the character 'manually' when he would vanish behind the entrance.
I did this and it's working like a charm.

The major problem is when you are saving while on the veranda. Because
then the callback is lost and will not be restored automatically when you
load that game later on.

So either we had to forbid saving on the veranda, which is not very nice
(unless we made the veranda-walking a self-running sequence).

The only "good" solution would be to check in the player schedule
whether to restore that callback. But I'm not sure if such a small
exception is worth the overhead (well, one additional if-statement every
time the player schedule runs).

So if you think the teleport is unbearable, I'll do it. Otherwise we'll
have to live with it.