Re: [Adonthell-devel] Extro music first draft

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Extro music first draft
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 00:05:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:24:56 +0100 (CET) Kai Sterker wrote

> Actually, the main loop itself should be independant of CPU speed (to a
> certain amount). However, so far the text_bubble duration is not, and that
> is slowing everything down on the box here.

Hm, this is not the whole truth. The thing is the following:

The mainloop calculates the time one cycle takes, and if it sees that it
can't make 50 FPS, it starts skipping frames. That is, it is still doing
all internal updates, does not draw every frame to the screen.

However, if the box becomes too slow this would result in very low frame
rates (like a frame every few seconds ;)), so there is a limit of how many
frames it may skip. If that limit is reached, no more frames are dropped,
but rather the game is slowed down as a whole.

And that happens on my old box here. So there is nothing that can be done
to get the extro and music correctly in sync on slow PC's. I can see if
the performance of the extro can be improved, but I doubt that.

So I would say when I am at Uni tomorrow and have my other box, I can sync
everything there. That should be okay for any PC reasonably fast, which
should include most of them.

The few other people with slow boxes will be out of luck, but there's
nothing we can do about that. (Of course, we could remove that limit, but
then they cannot play at all.)

So well, I guess we'll be able to release tomorrow (uh, it's today over
here already) evening.

G'night,