Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation

From: Nils Fohrbeck
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 15:10:01 +0100

>Actually, there'd be a second type of character description or template.
>However, this one would only be required for characters that can carry
>items, cast spells or use fighting feats. It would define what equipment
>a randomly generated character of certain class (i.e Bandit or Sorcerer,
>etc.) and level would carry. Depending on the character, that'll include
>armour and weapon the character uses, fighting feats and spells, etc ...
>
>I hadn't too many thoughts about that yet, but I think it would be
>required to properly generate characters randomly. Again, all the
>premade characters and boss monsters will have their items assigned
>beforehand, of course.

I suppose that in BG they cheat (which is exactly what we could do as well).
While Characters can use items, monsters don't. Why should they? You can just
say
that an orc has a defense value as if carrying an armour (so you add the armour
bonus to the basic value) and when the orc dies he dropps an armour. We can
then to different types of orc (weak and strong ones), well actually  the
different random levels (see your table) will do that. I do not think that the
player will actually sit down and calculate which items will amke an orc how
strong.