Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:19:55 +0100

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:36:58 +0100 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> You said you played some games from the baldurs gate series (such as
> Torment). We could just have 2 types of NPCs. Normal ones (such as a
> barmaid): You can talk to these and use your skills. Agressive ones
> (red in BG) that attack you. So you can only perform cambat actions on
> these.

Well yeah. Actually, the stuff you could do with a character (like
initiate dialogue) will be defined by the action script assigned to that
character. That's the script that runs whenever you face a character and
press the action button (SPACE). In v0.3, there's only the "talk"
script, 'cause talking is all you can do. For v0.4, we could easily
implement different actions. There's no need to actually distinguish
between normal and agressive NPCs. The action script takes care of that.