Re: [Adonthell-devel] Back again...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Back again...
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:39:20 +0100

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:30:01 -0800 Micah J. Cowan wrote:

> I'm trying to remember the issue for that one: it seems to me that the
> difficulty was that you couldn't crossfade two music samples, and that
> looping within a middle section of the Ogg stream was difficult.
>
> I dunno what you did for Wastes Edge (which I finally got a chance to
> play, now that I reinstalled gcc-2.95.3...), but I definitely didn't
> notice anything screwy about the music (I guess you probably just
> looped it end-to-end?)

Yeah, it's done that way. Something better might be nice once we have
combat running and want more dynamic background music (victory, danger,
etc.)

Not sure how the current code for sfx will do, as we don't have any
yet (except the two GUI related ones). But I guess it will have to get a
somewhat better interface. Right now it's pretty akward to use: lLoad
sample into slot, play slot.

I would more imagine something like: play sample. If sample not in
cache, load first. If cache full, replace sample that has been used
least frequently.

That is only the lowlevel interface. There are other sfx-related issues
as well. How can one make sure that a water sound is played while the
player walks near a river, or bird sound in the forest, etc. Then add
changing volume depending on the distance to the audio source.

And finally we're currently trying to get more independent from a
certain graphic and audio library. Sooner or later, the audio code will
have to be rewritten with that in mind too.

So there are plenty of things on the todo list :).