Re: [Adonthell-devel] Back again...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Back again...
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:21:56 +0100

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:48:17 -0800 Micah J. Cowan wrote:

> > I would more imagine something like: play sample. If sample not in
> > cache, load first. If cache full, replace sample that has been used
> > least frequently.
>
> I imagine even this could be too slow the first time a sample is
> played; I'd prefer to preload samples when a level is loaded, or
> something.

Of course, that could be done. But it also depends how many samples
there will be, and how large they are. Maybe it would even make sense to
have two "types" of samples. The important ones that need to be in
memory and played immediately, and those that are mere ambient sounds. I
guess it doesn't matter if a birdsong is played at the instant or 0.25
seconds later.

Also, once samples are in the cache, it needs to be assured that any N
samples can be played simultanously. Make that 4 or 8, whatever.

> > That is only the lowlevel interface. There are other sfx-related
> > issues as well. How can one make sure that a water sound is played
> > while the player walks near a river, or bird sound in the forest,
> > etc. Then add changing volume depending on the distance to the audio
> > source.
>
> Would it be possible to do something like adding invisible map items,
> and using the player's proximity to the nearest of them?

Yeah, something like that might work. Sound items; sounds good :).

> > And finally we're currently trying to get more independent from a
> > certain graphic and audio library. Sooner or later, the audio code
> > will have to be rewritten with that in mind too.
>
> You mean SDL? But why? Isn't the purpose of SDL to be "independent"
> from lower-level APIs

On the graphic side, we do it to 'embed' our internal graphic formats
and structures into a GUI toolkit like wxPython, so that it is easier to
write editors.

But we thought it might be nice to allow that for all of Adonthell's
components, so that the SDL backend could for example be replaced by
Clanlib (or whatever). Not that we plan to switch or anything. But that
way, we have at least the option.

> > So there are plenty of things on the todo list :).
>
> Know where I could find that todo list? :)

Um, nothing has changed in this respect. Still no official todo list ;).
But looking at the last 3 months of the devel list should give you an
idea what is going to be covered. That together with the 0.3 demo should
give an idea what still needs to be done :).