[Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 23:07:45 +0200

Hi list,

those also following adonthell-devel will already know that work on Adonthell v0.4 has been officially discontinued. See
  http://adonthell.nongnu.org/news/
for more details.

But as promised in January, I have spent some effort on dusting off the v0.3 source code, which turned into a somewhat larger endeavor. Nonetheless, it is slowly coming to an end, and so I am asking anyone interested in testing the current version so that it will be released with as little issues as possible (I really don't want to spend time on a 0.3.7 :-)).

Source tarballs
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/adonthell-0.3.6-src-beta1.tar.gz
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/wastesedge-0.3.6-src-beta1.tar.gz

Mac OSX binary (64bit Intel, 10.6.8 and up)
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/adonthell-0.3.6-osx-beta1.dmg

Windows binary (64bit, largely untested)
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/adonthell-0.3.6-win64-beta1.zip

Note that the links above direct you to a Savannah download mirror that may not be synced yet. In that case, you can download directly from
  http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/
instead.

These are the most notable changes in version 0.3.6

* Added 9 unlockable in-game achievements
* Added in-game settings screen
* A new "letterbox" video mode that preserves the 4:3 aspect ratio
* Configuration and game states are saved to standard OS locations
* Configuring a different true type font now actually works
* Fixes to NLS support
* Adonthell dialogue editor included again (ported to GTK+ 2)
* Support for both Python 2 and Python 3
* Switched from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2
* Compiles with gcc 6.1 and clang 3.8

Finally, due to the achievements and settings, new text has been added to the game, so the existing translations require an update. This has already happened for the Danish language (thanks a lot, Joe!), but other languages are likely still needing volunteers. Please visit the Translation Project if you would like to lend a hand, as all translation effort for Waste's Edge is now going through them exclusively:
  https://translationproject.org/domain/wastesedge.html

All that remains now is hoping that you'll have as much fun revisiting Waste's Edge as I had in making those changes. Please report your findings to this list. Once any reported problems are addressed, and perhaps some more translations updated, I will build the final release, which will then hopefully find it's way into current Linux distributions and last through the next decade!

Regards and thanks for staying around!

Kai