Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 22:45:14 +0200

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Joe Dalton <address@hidden> wrote:

I had 3.6 beta for both packages in a Sid installation.

That was faster than I thought as well :-).

Started the game up.
got a lot of blinking around the game (not in the game)

I've seen something similar on OSX, though I thought I had it fixed. So good find! :-)
I assume you run it in Letterbox mode (i.e the default when it starts up)? Would you be able to compile an updated version from source and see if that might fix the issue? I do have a slight suspicion what the problem might be. Let me know, then I'll upload a new source tarball.

And the Danish translation was used, but the Danish special characters æ, ø, å was not shown in the text, så UTF-8 is not working/in effect.

It's an issue with the font we use in Waste's Edge. It's license is unclear (and the author couldn't be contacted), so it was dropped from the Debian package. So right now it falls back to a simple bitmap font that is ASCII only.

You could, if you really wanted, change the configuration ~/.config/adonthell/adonthellrc to specify a system font, and check that it works in theory.

I am currently looking for a different font to use. I will need to test a few and see how they feel, but one hot candidate is Cardo (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Cardo), which is (a) under the OFL, (b) contains a quite large subset of Unicode and (c) seems quite suitable for lengthy text.

Kai