aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: thanks and productization vs open source (was Re: pict

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: thanks and productization vs open source (was Re: pictures)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:00:00 +0530

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:07:50PM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> One quick question though...(Btw, thanks V V much for pointing out that
> the DANVA costs $250.  Holly mollee!)...suppose we were to productize
> something based on Aleader.  Since it has knoppix inside (I am presuming
> it has some sort of open source type licensing), does its licensing
> disallow one to make a product based on knoppix?

The short answer is "no".  We can sell something.  That's how
Red Hat or Suse are able to sell Linux distributions.  The only
wrinkle is that we must provide complete source code.

I think the only potential area for proprietary licensing is for
films or film analysis.  If I analyze some film then I could license
the analysis as proprietary and ask each clinic or research group to
pay a license fee to use it.

> (I just re-watched part of _Revolution OS_ a wonderful documentary about
> linux...my lack of knowledge of legal issues associated with open source
> is woeful).

That's the only film I purchased this year.  ;-)

--
.. Sensual .. Perceptual .. Cognitive .. Emotional .. Oh My!