aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: direction

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: direction
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:02:22 +0530

I am trying not to respond, but solving this simple misunderstanding
could ease reading the rest of the email.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:47:50PM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:

> > > OCC states that admiration, by definition, involves one person to feel
> > > good about something that another has/does.  The emoter is focusing on
> > > the praiseworthiness of another's role in some situation.  The emoter
> > > finds that the admired person is upholding some kind of standard.  I find
> > > this to be a good coherent definition of the emotion (and the affective
> > > state) referred to by the word "admiration".
> >
> > Yes, that is exactly how Aleader defines the general category of
> > admiration.  However, Aleader leaves the point-of-view unspecified.
> > It sounds like OCC style admiration is always from the admirer's
> > point-of-view.  To contrast, Aleader considers the point-of-view
> > (the admirer or the admired) as a refinement of admiration.
>
> Huh?  But the experience of the admirer or the admired are completely
> different!  So they are completely different emotions being experienced.
> No?

I am only trying to give you a clue about how Aleader's affective
states are organized.  I am not asserting that the admirer and admired
experience the same affective state -- obviously they don't.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader