apps-gnustep

Re: RE : MusicBox-0.2.9

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: RE : MusicBox-0.2.9
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:03:07 -0400

From: "Peron, Stéphane" <address@hidden>
To: 'Yen-Ju Chen' <address@hidden>
Subject: RE : MusicBox-0.2.9
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:41:14 +0200

 [snip]

  2. cddb will be Cddb.bundle and Cddb.pref.
     So there is a global cddb setting in Preference.app.
     The only problem left for cddb.bundle
     is what's the interface for this cddb.bundle ?
     You must feed cddb.bundle with the CD information.
     Right now, my freedb classes need the number of total tracks,
     the length of each track, and the offset of each track.
     So I think an array of dictionary should be enough,
     and the keys for dictionary are just "length" and "offset".
     The count of array is the number of total tracks.
Is this information (length and offset) available in Encod and GSburn ?
     By the way, the freedb classes I have right now use
     blocking I/O for network.
     I'll try to make it non-blocking and notify in the future.
     So beware that it will block your application when access cddb site.

     Any comment on these two points ?

Good ! But why not configuring directly from one of tree application the
cddb server with a common string like for e.g:
                default writes NSSound Cddbserver (xxx.freedb.xxxxx)

We only have to agree on a common variable. When its variable is changed
from one application, its changed  for the others that uses Cddbserver !

What do you think about ?

Stephane

 That's is also a good idea.
 I vote for it because I feel a little bit weird
 to put the cddb setting into the global Preferences.app.
 So which domain and key should we use in GNUstepDefault ?
 NSSound and CddbServer ?
 I would like something other than NSSound domain.
 We can have a shared domain, ex. GSMultiMedia ? GSSoundApplication ?
 to put the common setting in it.

 And since MusicBox and GSburn already use the same preference as GNUMail,
 I have a preference for freedb already:
 http://www.people.virginia.edu/~yc2w/GNUstep/english/freedb/freedbpref.jpg
 (the interface is in Chinese).
 GSburn can use it directly.

 I should be able to release the cddb.bundle soon...

 Yen-Ju