[aspell-user] Aspell is running very slow on my box.

From: Daniel Crown
Subject: [aspell-user] Aspell is running very slow on my box.
Date: Tue Nov 13 17:29:01 2001

Hi,

I'm using aspell on my linux box and I'm having a very serious
performance problem, aspell is taking more than 80 seconds to process a
file with 5,700 characters.

For instance if I execute:

$ date +%s ; cat myfile.txt | aspell -a > /dev/null ; date +%s
1005681475
1005681557

The difference is 82 seconds. Also, if I execute aspell with the --time
option I get suggestion times near the second: 'Suggestion Time: 0.69'

However, if I use the standard 'ispell' program, the conversion is done
inmediately:

$ date +%s ; cat myfile.txt | ispell -a > /dev/null ; date +%s
1005681804
1005681804

Do you know what could be happening?  Do I have to create hash tables
like ispell or they are not necessary?

I really want to use this program, so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Daniel Crown
UTN FRBA