RE: [aspell-user] Aspell is running very slow on my box.

From: Daniel Crown
Subject: RE: [aspell-user] Aspell is running very slow on my box.
Date: Thu Nov 15 06:34:10 2001

I want to use aspell with SQWebMail that executes it through a pipe
using the -a argument.
The problem that I'm having is that when I check the spelling of texts
over 6k the browser times out because aspell in the background is taking
too much time to process the file.

Also, a friend gave me access to his Redhat 7.2 that comes with a binary
version of aspell, and it had the same speed problems. He has a Pentium
IV 1.5Ghz 512 MB of RAM and it took 3 minutes to process the
PCMCIA-HOWTO, while on my machine (that is a P3 550) it took 1 second
with ispell.

I've also tried writing a simple spell checker using the pspell API, and
it had the same speed problems.

Is it possible that you improve the suggestion time of aspell?   There
are several programs that call the old ispell through a pipe, and when
they are used on new OS that come with aspell the performance is
considerably decreased.

Thanks again for your time.

Daniel