RE: [aspell-user] Aspell is running very slow on my box.

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: RE: [aspell-user] Aspell is running very slow on my box.
Date: Thu Nov 15 07:37:04 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Daniel Crown wrote:

> Is it possible that you improve the suggestion time of aspell?   There
> are several programs that call the old ispell through a pipe, and when
> they are used on new OS that come with aspell the performance is
> considerably decreased.

Yes it is possible.  See section 5.4.5 of the manual.  Unfortunately the
released version of Aspell has a bug in which it will not work with the
ultra mode or when ever typo-analysis is not used.  The attached patch
will fix the problem.

The URL filter which is enabled by default also slows things down.  See
section 5.4.2 for more information about disabling it.

You may also want to combine the "multi" dictionaries into one hash table.
See chapter 4 for more information about that.

Let me know if you can get acceptable performance and what options you
used.

Thanks.
KevinA