[Aspell-user] Text::Aspell install problem, OS X

From: apv
Subject: [Aspell-user] Text::Aspell install problem, OS X
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:15:47 -0800

I am amazed by aspell's ability to correctly guess horribly misspelled
words so I really want to replace my ispell with it both in Emacs and
for Perl scripts on CGIs. Specifically Text::Aspell.

I'm on OS X 10.2.8 with the developer tools. Perl 5.8.2. My system
admin and C skills are rudimentary.

I could not compile the source code for aspell though I tried
monkeying with config stuff. So I went for Fink. Fink installed aspell
just fine and I am able to use the command line tool without any
trouble.

I tried again (many, many times) to install Text::Aspell but no dice.
I followed the README advice to add config flags. I'm not sure this is
right. I tried many permutations.

perl Makefile.PL CCFLAGS=-I/sw/include LIBS="-L/sw/lib -laspell"

I tried this advice on the Makefile.PL and also tried to add an INC to
the /sw/include: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030506220819362

'LIBS'          => ['-laspell'],
    to:
'LIBS'          => ['-L/sw/lib -laspell -laspell-common -lstdc++'],

but this didn't work either.

A verbose test shows, I think, that make is still looking in the wrong
places. aspell is in Fink's /sw paths.

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at t/test.t line 63.
Use of uninitialized value in join or string at t/test.t line 63.
t/test....1..21
ok 1 destroyed by out of scope
ok 2
ok 3
ok 4
     actual-dict-dir:  /usr/local/lib/aspell/
         actual-lang:  en
                conf:  aspell.conf
            conf-dir:  /usr/local/etc
           conf-path:  /usr/local/etc/aspell.conf
            data-dir:  /usr/local/share/aspell
            dict-dir:  /usr/local/lib/aspell
  [CHOPPED for space....]
ok 21 [60 options]
FAILED tests 8-10, 12-16, 18-19
        Failed 10/21 tests, 52.38% okay
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
t/test.t                  21   10  47.62%  8-10 12-16 18-19

I have tried 25 different variations and I'm out of things I know to try. Please tell me, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
-Ashley