Re: [Aspell-user] Text::Aspell install problem, OS X

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Text::Aspell install problem, OS X
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:30:35 -0800

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:15:47AM -0800, apv wrote:
> I tried again (many, many times) to install Text::Aspell but no dice.
> I followed the README advice to add config flags. I'm not sure this is
> right. I tried many permutations.
>
> perl Makefile.PL CCFLAGS=-I/sw/include LIBS="-L/sw/lib -laspell"
>
> I tried this advice on the Makefile.PL and also tried to add an INC to
>  the /sw/include:
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030506220819362
>
> 'LIBS'          => ['-laspell'],
>     to:
> 'LIBS'          => ['-L/sw/lib -laspell -laspell-common -lstdc++'],
>
> but this didn't work either.

I have a message in my send-mail folder from April 29:

> This works on my mac:
>
> WriteMakefile(
> 'NAME' => 'Text::Aspell',
> 'VERSION_FROM' => 'Aspell.pm',
> 'LIBS' => ['-L/sw/lib -laspell -laspell-common -lstdc++'],
> 'XSPROTOARG' => '-noprototypes',
>
> Of course that of little use to the rest of the world. I'd love to
> know how to do this in a portable kind of way.

Which looks like what you are already trying.

I'd like to add that info to the README but every time I do that the
program fails some CPAN tester attempt to use the module (last time they
were using the .33 version of Aspell).

> A verbose test shows, I think, that make is still looking in the wrong
> places. aspell is in Fink's /sw paths.
>
> Use of uninitialized value in string eq at t/test.t line 63.
> Use of uninitialized value in join or string at t/test.t line 63.
> t/test....1..21
> ok 1 destroyed by out of scope
> ok 2
> ok 3
> ok 4
>      actual-dict-dir:  /usr/local/lib/aspell/
>          actual-lang:  en
>                 conf:  aspell.conf
>             conf-dir:  /usr/local/etc
>            conf-path:  /usr/local/etc/aspell.conf
>             data-dir:  /usr/local/share/aspell
>             dict-dir:  /usr/local/lib/aspell
>   [CHOPPED for space....]
> ok 21 [60 options]
> FAILED tests 8-10, 12-16, 18-19

You chopped off the tests that failed so I can't be sure.  What are the
failure messages?  Seems like I have also seen problems on some locale
settings.

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden