Re: [AUCTeX] Fold citep

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Fold citep
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:34:59 +0200

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 05:57:59PM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> > what happens if the optional argument isn't there, and the user hasn't
> > supplied an optional argument? would you use some default string or leave
> > it empty?
>
> Unless I am misunderstanding you, that's what the <alt_string> is for.

sorry, my question was confusing. what i meant to say was: what happens
if the optional argument isn't there, and the user hasn't supplied an
*alternative string*?

> That means, if the optional argument is not found, the [...] placeholder
> would be replaced by the alternative string as described above.
>
> I'm not sure if this is flexible enough.  The scheme does not cater for
> the situation where one wants to use a completely different string if
> the optional argument is not found.  For example for "\item[foo]" you
> might wanna display "foo:" but for "\item" just "*".

mmm... perhaps i'm not understanding you correctly... isn't this what you
get when you supply "*" as the alternative string? i.e. if you specify
"[1:*]" as the replacement string?

--
Joost Kremers, PhD
University of Frankfurt