Re: AC_SUBST and AC_CACHE_VAL

From: Stefan Bienert
Subject: Re: AC_SUBST and AC_CACHE_VAL
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 22:33:06 +0200

Hi Ralf,

> What does the last line have to do with the ones before that?

Oh, I forgot to mention: I have this stuff in a macro. It's meant to
check for certain flags and if accepted by the program, the flag is
added to the flag-list. Now I have another macro, which invokes the flag
checks by AC_REQUIRE... If someone invokes the macro at another place,
with the AC_SUBST in the end, the concatenation happens.

> If an initial value of SB_FOOS from the user (./configure SB_FOOS=...)
> is to be honored, then maybe you should just check for presence of bar
> before adding it?
>   case " $SB_FOOS " in
>   *) SB_FOOS="$SB_FOOS bar";;
>   esac

Never thought of that before! Many thanks, I will check my setups where
this applies. Tres cool, I would say! But why is nobody using AS_CASE?

> If the user is not involved here, then how come you save and restore
> SB_FOOS but not initialize it early in configure?

Isn't SB_FOOS empty if not initialised?

greetings,

Stefan