Re: AC_SUBST and AC_CACHE_VAL

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_SUBST and AC_CACHE_VAL
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:47:40 +0200

Hello Stefan,

let's keep the list in Cc:, please; thanks.

* Stefan Bienert wrote on Fri, May 15, 2009 at 02:12:56PM CEST:
> > There is no problem with it.  But you're inconsistent if you
> > - accept an initial value,
> > - change that value during configure unconditionally (i.e., without
> >   taking into account the initial value),
>
> This is where the case statement applies?

Yes.  That is, if entries in the variable are position-independent.

> > - and save the final value at the end of configure, to be reused as
> >   initial value for the next configure run.
>
> Well, how do I prevent that for user-defined values?

By not specifying it as AC_ARG_VAR, I guess.  Per default, only
variables passed explicitly on the configure command line are saved in
config.status and restored by './config.status --recheck'.