automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] general: include verbatim makefile fragments in

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] general: include verbatim makefile fragments in output Makefiles
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 10:39:22 +0200

On 08/03/2012 07:47 AM, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Le 2 août 2012 à 19:35, Stefano Lattarini a écrit :
>
>> Here it is (see attachment).  OK?
>
> It is.  Yet I realize that this goes against what we talked about a while ago.

Then we must have misunderstood each other, because this was not clear to me.

> I personally structure my build-aux directories.

Which is pretty unusual, and not catered for by the current Automake.  Not
that it wouldn't be a good idea; simply, Automake (and Autoconf) will have
to be improved before your use case can work nicely and without additional
complications.  Suggestions on how to do that?

> I have build-aux/m4, build-aux/make
> (which contains *.mk that I include in various directories), build-aux/emacs
> (*.el files), build-aux/m4sh, build-aux/lib (which contains modes for Perl and
> Python programs in build-aux/bin) etc.  It is structured because that's also a
> git submodules that is shared between several projects.

OK.  Then we should find a way to inform Autoconf and Automake about
such a structuring.

> So, as I had reported earlier, I wish that there would be a means to tell
> automake to install in binaries into build-aux/bin,

That could be doable I think, maybe with the help of a new macro or a new
automake option.  Patches (or sketches thereof) welcome.

> because my reading of AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR is that it denotes build-aux.
> Then you answered, that AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR actually denotes what I call
> build-aux/bin.
>
> So now we have a problem, because in addition to texinfo.tex, there is
> now an mk/ directory in my build-aux/bin :(
>
> I would like to be able to keep build-aux structured.

This is a problem to be solved in mainline Automake IMHO; since it is not
a regression, it should not stop this patch, even it makes the situation
with your setup a little worse.  It will be sorted out eventually, once we
fix the situation in mainline automake.

> So I agree with the patch, but now I would really ask for
> AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR to denote build-aux, and to have a means
> to state that AC_CONFIG_AUX_BIN_DIR or whatever is build-aux/bin.

I think this should be brought up to the Autoconf list at first, since
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR is used there as well, with certain semantics expected.

Regards,
  Stefano