Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:37:34 +1100

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 02:56:41PM +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> I use a large strip prototyping board, and add components to it over
> time as required/needed by the development of the software.
> I soldered the crystal and capacitors as closely as possible to the AVR
> chip, 4 tenths of inches from it maximum then.

Vincent,

Is there any chance that the tracks have not been cut immediately on the
other side of the crystal pins? It's worth ensuring the oscillator is
not loaded by long strip tracks, if another crystal doesn't fix it.

The only time I've had an AVR not immediately oscillate at 16 MHz, I'd
forgotten to set CKOPT. Any old crystal out of the junkbox seems to
work, too, so the road should be smoother once you're over this hump.

Erik