Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:39:45 -0500

Vincent Trouilliez wrote

> Why don't they just give tables and let the user program
> this into the fuse bytes, completely omitting any and all
> comment about this reversed logic.

That's sort of how fuses look to an AVR Studio user.  You just check boxes
against the features you want and it figures out the binary.  Yes, yes, I
know that using a GUI makes me some kind of low-life.

Before you give up, though, your idea of having other people read back to
you the fuse settings that work for them is a good one.

Using AVaRICE, my fuses (with 15.36 MHz crystal) read thus:

Reading Fuse Bytes:
  Extended Fuse byte -> 0xff
      High Fuse byte -> 0x1b
       Low Fuse byte -> 0xff

Now I have to use AVRdude for the first time ever ... OK, I've got the
device signature, now how do I read the fuses? ... google ... avrdude -c
STK500 -p m16 -U hfuse:r:high.txt -U lfuse:r:low.txt ... invalid output file
format: -1.  Try WinAVR TkInfo.  Ah, here's an explanation of the format ...
use i for intel hex ... fortunately I can read intel hex files and, yes, the
high byte is 1B and the low byte is FF.

So, that's what works for me.  If you inject the clock you use to recover
your chip when the oscillator isn't running, can you read back your fuses?
What are they set to?

Graham.