Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:09:20 +0100 (MET)

David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have had situations where the combination of Dragon and target
> board seemed to be ultra sensitive to the cable used between. Where
> I thought the 6" cable worked and the 9" was not reliable.

Yes, these ribbon cables appear to suffer from severe crosstalk at
times.  I've also had reports from a friend about similar figures.
Just keep the ribbon cable short then.  Put some isolating foil around
the Dragon itself, so you can place it close to the target.

The ribbon cable of the JTAG ICE (that fragile white stuff) is a
little longer (23 cm), but it's got extra shielding wires between each
data wire, so it doesn't appear to be a problem.  Maybe it's also due
to their drivers being a little more robust and/or faster, at least
I've never encountered that kind of issues with a genuine ICE.