[avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:25:57 +0200

Hi list,

I bought my Dragon fairly recently and it has not seen much use, and I
did protect it with a nice little plastic box with rubber feet. So I
don't think it's physically damaged. But, I notice that it is
exxxxtremely slow at reading the contents of the target Flash memory.

I do mean VERY slow. I timed it at a full minute for one single
kilo byte of data from Flash. Actually at first I thought either
avrdude or the  dragon, crashed, and I did cancel the transfer at
first. But the status LED's on the dragon showed some activity, so I
decided to wait and wait and wait, just in case it would actually
manage to complete the transfer.. and it did. But one KB per minute is
scarily (uselessly, at any rate) slow.

What puzzles me is that if I do the transfer with my crappy DIY
parallel cable, the same transfer takes zero time, it is blazing fast.

So I don't know what's wrong: avrdude's terminal mode when using a
Dragon rather than a // cable, or the Dragon itself which may have very
poor firmware ? :-/

So if Dragon owners could share their experiences... could you time how
long it takes for your Dragon to read one KB of data from Flash ?  Does
it take one minute like mine ?

Or might this be a problem in the terminal mode of avrdude, rather than
the Dragon ?

Regards,

--
Vince