Re: [avr-chat] Can AVRDude communicate with an FT232R using the D2XX dri

From: Anthony Andriano
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Can AVRDude communicate with an FT232R using the D2XX drivers instead of a VCP?
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 20:07:11 -0700

Thanks for the reply. I tried checking the Load VCP box, but it required me to unplug and replug the device back into the computer for the COM port to load and I was hoping for something a little more robust.

In a nutshell, I'm looking a way to send a .hex file in AVR911 format using D2XX instead of VCP. That way I could software reset the AVR with a command over the UART and then continue communicating with the bootloader without changing anything at all on the PC. I need to program hundreds or thousands of these at a time, so even clicking a simple check box adds a large amount of time to the process. I also don't want to make my customers go through that process.

Does AVRDude have any facilities to do this? Does it already understand how to use D2XX or does it not include that functionality?

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Xiaofan Chen <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Anthony Andriano
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I am currently using AVRDude to communicate with my devices over a virtual
> com port and an FT232R (USB <-> UART bridge). I see that AVRDude has a
> programmer type called avrftdi, but I don't think it provides a solution to
> my problem. At the moment, when I want to communicate with my device, I have
> the ability to use the FT232R in native USB mode through the vendor supplied
> DLL. However, when I want to access the bootloader, I have to change the
> EEPROM in the FT232R to enumerate as a VCP. Then, AVRDude can
> communicate using "-c avr911 -P comXX".

I do not think you need to change the EEPROM. FTDI driver has an
option to load VCP driver which override normal device behavior.

+++++++
Windows Device Manager --> Universal Serial Bus controllers -->
USB Serial Converter --> Advanced -->

Configuration

Use these settings to override normal device behavior.

(checkbox) Load VCP
+++++++

You can use the above to load VCP on the fly.

> What I want is a way to communicate with the AVR using the supplied DLL over
> a native USB interface without needing the VCP at all. Can AVRDude already
> do this?
>
> Basically, I am asking if AVRDude uses any of the API calls in the FTDI
> provided DLL called FTD2XX.DLL such as FT_Write() and FT_Read() to write and
> read bytes from the AVR. I do not want to enumerate my device as a VCP, but
> I still want to be able to communicate with the bootloader using a VCP.

Maybe this is close to what you want, not using libftd2xx, but libftdi,
http://helix.air.net.au/
You can use the libusb-win32 filter driver option so that you
can still use the FTDI driver.

--
Xiaofan