Re: [avr-chat] Can AVRDude communicate with an FT232R using the D2XX dri

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Can AVRDude communicate with an FT232R using the D2XX drivers instead of a VCP?
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 12:02:56 +0800

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Anthony Andriano
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I tried checking the Load VCP box, but it required me
> to unplug and replug the device back into the computer for the COM port to
> load and I was hoping for something a little more robust.

I see.

> In a nutshell, I'm looking a way to send a .hex file in AVR911 format using
> D2XX instead of VCP. That way I could software reset the AVR with a command
> over the UART and then continue communicating with the bootloader without
> changing anything at all on the PC. I need to program hundreds or thousands
> of these at a time, so even clicking a simple check box adds a large amount
> of time to the process. I also don't want to make my customers go through
> that process.
>
> Does AVRDude have any facilities to do this? Does it already understand how
> to use D2XX or does it not include that functionality?

I do not think the mainline codes do not support d2xx. There are patches
though but none of them have been integrated.

Some references:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?4330
http://doswa.com/2010/08/24/avrdude-5-10-with-ftdi-bitbang.html
https://github.com/piglop/avrdude/commits/ftdi_libftd2xx