Re: [avr-chat] Can AVRDude communicate with an FT232R using the D2XX dri

From: Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Can AVRDude communicate with an FT232R using the D2XX drivers instead of a VCP?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:05:22 +0100

On 01/02/2012 06:55 PM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Xiaofan Chen<address@hidden>  wrote:

Does AVRDude have any facilities to do this? Does it already
understand how to use D2XX or does it not include that
functionality?
I do not think the mainline codes do not support d2xx. There are
patches though but none of them have been integrated.
And frankly: they won't ever be.  One of the hosting requirements on
savannah.nongnu.org is that only "free software" (in the FSF's
terminology, and by their definition of "free software") must be
provided there.  Linking against D2XX would not satisfy that
condition.  (Linking against libftdi is, of course, OK, as it is free
software by the FSF's definition.)

But sorry, nobody so far taught AVRDUDE about these details.
"avrftdi" is a bit-bang programmer using the MPSSE's native bit-bang
mode (on top of libftdi).

Just a little bit of my know-how from yesterday - "avrftdi" is not a freely configurable bit-bang programmer - I wired my FT2232H module in a wrong way (AD/AC bus exchanged) and trying to reconfigure the pins from 1,2,3 to 9,10,11 lead to no operation and a little error note that for MPSSE those must be kept 1,2,3.

The warning message and the overall behavior of avrdude seemed like it should go in a real bit-bang mode, but it wasn't - signals were not present on any of the pins of the FT module. I had to patch my board for the three signals coming from MPSSE, however the BUFF and RST could be remapped using avrdude.conf.

Daniel