Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulator

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulator
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:42:00 -0600 (MDT)

Ok, I just did a simple test to see how fast my simulator is. I am only
getting about 250 instructions per second. I doubt this would be
acceptable.

I'd only been running very simple short programs before so I didn't really
notice how slow it is. I might be able to speed it up some, but it doesn't
look like it can help much. Looks like it's time for C.

What is the minimum inst/sec that would be satisfactory?

Ted Roth

Here's the asm program I ran through it (2964 inst in 12.28 seconds on my
PPro 180):

.device         AT90S8515

.include        "8515def.inc"

.cseg
        rjmp    MAIN            ; reset
        nop                     ; int0
        nop                     ; int1
        nop                     ; timer1 capt
        nop                     ; timer1 compa
        nop                     ; timer1 compb
        nop                     ; timer1 ovf
        nop                     ; timer0 ovf
        nop                     ; spi, stc
        nop                     ; uart, rx
        nop                     ; uart, udre
        nop                     ; uart, tx
        nop                     ; ana_comp

MAIN:
    ;; init stack pointer to 0x025f (the last byte of int sram)
        ldi     r16, $5f        ; low byte of end
of int sram
        out     SPL, r16
        ldi     r16, $02        ; high byte of end
of int sram
        out     SPH, r16

        ldi     r16, $0f        ; initialize outer
loop counter

LOOP1:
        cpi     r16, $00
        breq    DONE
        dec     r16
        rcall   INNER
        rjmp    LOOP1

INNER:
        ldi     r17, $2f        ; initialize inner
loop counter

LOOP2:
        cpi     r17, $00
        breq    REPEAT